Spending a few years at an Australian institute can be an experience of a lifetime. A world-class education system, friendly faculties, and charming campus life can make you so enthralled that you may start planning to stay back in this country for a few more years, and if possible, permanently.
A Temporary Graduate Visa 485 will help you stay and gain work experience in Australia, which can be very crucial for an application for a permanent residency visa. Here we share the top eight tips to apply for the 485 Visa successfully.
Tip 1: Select the correct stream
First, you should know about the two streams under the Visa Subclass 485 – Graduate Work Stream and Post-Study Work Stream. From two streams, there are different eligibility criteria, and thus you need to submit different documents. So, before you apply, it is essential to check the requirements and whether they apply to your personal situation.
Graduate Work Stream
Below are the key points you should know about this visa.
- This visa allows a holder to stay and work for one and a half years (18 months).
- Applicants must have a Diploma or Trade Qualification certificate to apply for this stream.
- You will need to nominate a skilled occupation included in the MLTSSL (Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List).
- Subsequently, you should have a positive skills assessment related to the nominated occupation. It will confirm that you have the relevant skills required in the occupation. We have discussed this criterion in detail in a later part of this blog.
Post-Study Work Stream
The key points of this stream are discussed below.
- To qualify for this stream, you should have a Bachelor’s, a Masters’s, or a Doctorate to your name. No Diploma or Certificate III Trade Qualification will not be enough.
- Depending on your academic qualification, you can stay for 2 (for Bachelor graduates) to 4 (for Doctorates) years.
- You should have held your first Australian student visa after 5 November 2011.
Tip 2: Apply within time
The Temporary Graduate Visa Subclass 485 is an Australian temporary visa that must be applied within the deadline. Keep in mind the following points.
- The application should be made within 6 months of holding an Australian student visa (preferably Student Visa 500). If you fail to do so and have no visa options available at that time, you will have to leave Australia.
- Also, note that you have to lodge your Graduate Visa Australia application within 6 months of completing your course. This completion date refers to the date the final results are published. Do not assume the course completion date to be the date you graduate.
Tip 3: Make sure you meet the Australian study requirement
Meeting the Australian study requirement is one of the mandatory criteria for the Graduate Visa 485. It comprises the following conditions.
- You should have finished and been awarded a Diploma or a degree by an Australian institute.
- The course should have been CRICOS-registered.
- You were physically present for at least 16 months in Australia to attend the course.
- The course should have covered at least 2 years of academic study. According to the CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students), 2 years of academic study refers to a course covering at least 92 weeks.
- The course was taught in English.
- You held an eligible student visa while studying.
If you have completed two courses or have received credits for any previously undertaken course, you must check how these provisions apply to your personal circumstances.
Tip 4: Do Not Forget The General Requirements
For a successful subclass 485 Visa application, satisfying the general 485 Visa Australia requirements is equally important as meeting the stream-specific criteria. Irrespective of the stream you apply for, you should keep in mind the following conditions.
- Your age should be less than 44.
- You should meet the Australian study requirement that we have discussed in the previous tip.
- All the applicants aged 16 or over must meet health and character requirements.
- You must have health insurance cover.
- You will need to show English language proof.
Tip 5: Go through skills assessment for the Graduate Work Stream
Regarding the skills assessment requirement, you will have to remember a few essential things.
- When applying, you will need to provide evidence that you have undertaken your skills assessment. According to rules, you can apply before the assessment is approved.
- Specific assessing authorities are given the responsibility to conduct the assessments. It will be impossible to change the nominated occupation after you lodge your assessment. So, it will be crucial to choose the correct occupation.
- Your studies should be closely related to the nominated occupation. You may be required to provide a statement to explain how you want to use your studies in your nominated occupation.
Tip 6: Know the Time of Application criteria
As per the 485 Visa checklist, some documents must be submitted at the time of application. These documents include:
- Health insurance cover both the main applicant and dependents
- Evidence that all the applicants have applied for an AFP (Australian Federal Police) check
- English language requirement documents
- Proof that the main applicant has lodged the skills assessment
Currently, the 485 Visa processing time is 6 to 7 months for the Post-Study Work Stream and 8 to 11 months for the Graduate Work Stream. The processing time may vary according to different circumstances. But as an applicant, it will be your responsibility to submit a complete application. If you wish, you can hire a Perth migration agent for help and will need to submit the relevant document.
Tip 7: You Will Need A New Health Insurance Cover
Usually, overseas students and their family members in Australia need to have an Overseas Student Health Cover throughout their stay. This health cover can be used at the time of the 485 subclass visa application in Australia. However, you must note that your OSHC will not be valid at the time of the visa grant. You will need to switch your OSHC to the Overseas Visitor Health Care (OVHC).
Tip 8: Confirm Eligible Family Members Before Applying
The 485 Visa in Australia will allow you to include some of your family members in your application, which will help them accompany you to Australia. However, it will be mandatory to confirm this information before you include them. Following members can be added to the application.
- Your de facto partner or spouse
- Your dependent child or stepchild
- Dependent child or stepchild of your partner or spouse
While assessing your application, the Department of Home Affairs will also evaluate their eligibility. So, whenever you include your family members in the application, you must provide evidence of your family relationships. Dependent children you want to have will also be subject to additional requirements.
How can a migration agent in Perth help you?
A migration agent Perth can help you understand the immigration rules in Australia and lodge a successful application. For contacts, you may get in touch with a reputed migration agent in Perth.