AYUSH or alternative therapy includes Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Sidha, and Homeopathy. Despite many efforts from the government’s side to improve the popularity of alternative medicines, many people in urban and rural India still prefer allopathic medication. To attract more people towards alternative therapies, in 2013, IRDAI ordered all Indian insurers to cover AYUSH under their various health insurance schemes. At present, most comprehensive health insurance plans offer AYUSH cover. Under this cover, the insured gets financial assistance for in-patient treatment in alternative therapies. At present, almost all major health insurers, including Bajaj Allianz Health Insurance, offers AYUSH coverage with their health insurance plans.
The benefits of AYUSH treatments are:
- Alternative therapies usually rely on natural ingredients. Hence, there is less chance for side effects.
- Low expenses
- A holistic approach to healthcare
- Best suited for those who have various drug allergies and also for senior citizens.
- Just as in mainstream medicines, therapies are available for almost every ailment, including chronic diseases.
Features of AYUSH cover
The AYUSH treatment cover allows you to shift from mainstream medicine treatment to alternative therapies without financial distress. The important features and conditions of the AYUSH cover are:
- AYUSH cover includes only the expenses associated with in-patient treatments of Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Sidha, and Homeopathy.
- The cover is applicable for almost all locations in India.
- The sum insured under this cover depends upon the plan. Usually, it ranges between Rs.2,500 and Rs. 20,000.
- You can avail cashless facilities in AYUSH hospitals if they are network hospitals of the insurer.
- You must take the treatment from a practitioner accredited by the Quality Council of India or the National Accreditation Board of Health.
- AYUSH hospital must be a healthcare facility wherein medical, surgical, or para-surgical treatment procedures and interventions are carried out by AYUSH medical practitioner(s) comprising any of the following:
- Central or State Government AYUSH Hospital
- Teaching hospital attached to AYUSH College recognised by the Central Government or Central Council of Indian Medicine or Central Council for Homeopathy.
- AYUSH hospital, standalone or co-located with in-patient healthcare facility of any recognised system of medicine, registered with the local authorities, wherever applicable, and is under the supervision of a qualified registered AYUSH medical practitioner and must comply with the following criterion:
- Has at least 5 in-patient beds
- A qualified AYUSH medical practitioner should be available round the clock for service.
- Has a dedicated AYUSH therapy section as required and/or has equipped operation theatre where surgical procedures can be carried out.
- Maintaining daily records of the patients and making them accessible to the insurer’s authorised representative.
You get the cover of alternative therapies only as part of other health insurance. The Gold and Platinum plans of family and individual health insurances offered by Bajaj Allianz Health Insurance give Ayurvedic and Homeopathic treatment coverage. At the same time, its Arogya Sanjeevani Policy provides coverage to Ayurveda, Yoga, Unani, Sidha, and Homeopathy therapies.
What is not covered under the AYUSH cover?
- Daycare procedures and OPD treatments
- Hospitalisation period less than 24 hours
- If the hospital from where the treatment is provided is not recognised.
- Services taken from spas, massage centers, or any health rejuvenation centers cannot get the cover.
Many insurers put clauses to avail of AYUSH cover benefits. So before buying a health insurance plan, take time and read the clauses thoroughly. As many researches are going on alternative medicines these days, it’s wise to include the AYUSH coverage in your regular health insurance plan. Take advantage of AYUSH health insurance through the plans offered by Bajaj Allianz Health Insurance.