Whenever users connect their WiFi-enabled devices to the Netgear router’s network, the router assigns an IP address to each device. It is called a dynamic IP address because it changes every time when the connection is created. But, in order to improve the internet experience, users can reserve an IP address on their Netgear Nighthawk router. The process is called assigning a static IP address. If you have also performed Netgear Nighthawk setup in your home, then you should definitely consider reserving an IP address on your router. In this article, we will provide you with the step-by-step guidelines to reserve an IP address on the Netgear Nighthawk router.
But, before we do that, let’s make you aware of the various benefits of reserving an IP address.
Benefits of Reserving IP Address on Netgear Router
- Static IP addresses are easy to manage. So, you can have easy access to your WiFi-enabled device.
- Static IP addresses are easily discoverable. So, hosting a static IP will make it easy for the Netgear router to find your WiFi-enabled device.
- Using a static IP address facilitates more reliable communication between your WiFi-enabled devices and the router.
So, we can easily say that static IP addresses are best for businesses. They are also helpful when you have remote workers logging into your device via VPN. Now, without any further ado, let’s discuss the steps to reserve an IP address on the Netgear Nighthawk router.
Steps to Reserve IP Address on Netgear Router
- Connect your Netgear Nighthawk router to a working power outlet and press the Power button.
- As soon as the power LED glows solid green, create a connection between your Netgear Nighthawk router and the modem. It can be either a wireless connection or a wired one.
- Now, switch on your PC and open an updated web browser on it.
- Thereafter, move to the address bar of the web browser and type www.routerlogin.net into it.
- Press the Enter key.
- Hitting Enter will take you to the Netgear router login page.
- Use the default login credentials of your Netgear Nighthawk router.
- Once the Netgear Genie setup wizard appears, click the Advanced menu.
- Navigate to the Setup option and click LAN Setup.
- Now, click the Add button in the Address Reservation section.
- Type the IP address into the required field that you want to assign to your WiFi-enabled device.
- Enter the MAC address of your WiFi-enabled device.
- Lastly, click the Save button to enter the reserved address into the table.
In this way, you can reserve an IP address of the WiFi-enabled device on your Netgear Nighthawk router. Keep in mind that the reserved IP address won’t get assigned until you reboot your WiFi-enabled device. On the off chance, you fail to reserve the IP address on your Netgear router, take care of the following points:
Points to Remember While Reserving IP Address
- Enter the correct web address into the address bar of the web browser to access the www routerlogin net setup wizard.
- Make sure that the web browser you are using to reserve an IP address on the Netgear Nighthawk router is free of cache, cookies, and browsing history.
- The default login credentials of your Netgear Nighthawk router are case-sensitive. Therefore, enter them carefully.
- Most importantly, enter the correct MAC address of the WiFi-enabled device. Or else, you won’t get success in reserving an IP address on your Netgear Nighthawk router.
Our guide to reserve an IP address on the Netgear Nighthawk router comes to an end here. We hope that you will be able to do so with ease using the instructions mentioned in this and avoid the hassle of manually updating the IP address when you restart the router.